Friday, June 17, 2011

How's your relationships with your Father?

I’ve heard the history of mother’s day many a times and never bother to check on the history of the Father’s Day. My generation grew up with it just being there, in the middle of June, a month after Mother’s Day. So, when I checked the Wikipedia, I was surprised that it took some 40 years for the day to be recognized. In 1957, a female went “to bat” for men! Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith wrote a proposal accusing Congress of ignoring fathers for 40 years while honouring mothers, thus "[singling] out just one of our two parents." But it took another decade, when in 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honouring fathers, designating the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. Six more years and the day was made a permanent national holiday when President Richard Nixon signed it into law in 1972. So, it’s the 39th anniversary of the official Father’s Day.

As we pose to think and honour our fathers, let me ask: what do you remember your father say to you?

  • what part of NO don’t you understand?
  • I am not just talking to hear my own voice!
  • I’ll tell you WHY!
  • Because I said so, that’s WHY!
  • Don’t make me stop this car!!!
  • You call that music? Turn that down!
  • This is gonna hurt me a lot more than it’s going to hurt you
  • No, we are not lost.
  • In my day, when I was your age, I......

The list will go on to infinity! I reflect on this as we read the “Wild at heart” book at men’s ministry breakfasts (by John Elderedge). Did your father initiate you into life so you’d know where you’ve come from, what are you here for and where you are going? Some have missed that from their fathers. Other’s had been spoiled by enabling fathers who did everything for them. Some had been blessed by supportive fathers.

Hopefully you have a different list:

  • That’s my boy!
  • You’ll get it next time!
  • Real proud of you!
  • You’re THE MAN!
  • Try it again, and let me help you!
  • Let’s do it together!

And there is One Father whose Voice still sounds today, who knows your situation and wants to initiate you with His Grace. Do you know Him, the Heavenly Father? For it is only He who could give you the real name, the true identity, purpose, meaning and strength to carry on in life. How’s your relationships with Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment